Pages

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Turn your job today into your Dream Job

It is no secret that people that read educational or inspirational materials are very interested in improving their lives. You’re open to new ideas, willing to invest in change and highly motivated to take the necessary steps needed for improvement. I write this blog with one clear goal; to provide the type of information you feel will help you be more successful in selling.
Motivation usually comes from a deep seeded desire to do one of two things; make more money and/or achieve significant accomplishments.
Let’s face it; life today is expensive. Most households require two incomes to cover the bills. It is not selfish for anyone to want a few more dollars in their families pocket at the end of the month. So how can you do it?
I can help you position yourself in the job market to earn more money, achieve significant accomplishments and be happier at work.
It is true. I have discovered something powerful that has changed my life and my family’s life. No I didn’t win the Powerball Lottery Jackpot. What I discovered is just as life changing as if I did win the lottery. I am excited to share this with you and I know you will want to share these ideas with friends and colleagues, just as I am sharing this with you.

Land Your Dream Job
I recently achieved a significant milestone in my career’ I achieved my dream job. While this job is not my end goal for my career; it is my dream job. I spent 2 years thinking about achieving this job and 1 year actively pursuing this job. During the time I was hoping to achieve this job; I was working hard at my present job then spending evenings and weekends searching for my dream job.
I was successful in changing jobs and achieving my goal of working on a National Account. Landing this position filled me with HOPE and EXCITEMENT for the future. If you feel you truly need to change your job to renew your hope for the future I will share with you the techniques and tips I used in my search. Before I do this, I want to make a clear point I realized after I changed my jobs. Hope and excitement for your career are creations of your own mind.
Therefore, you do not need to change your job to instill HOPE and EXCITEMENT into your mind.
We have been conditioned to think that change will provide renewal. This is a myth. You control your mind and you control how much HOPE and EXCITEMENT you bring to your job.  Landing your Dream Job can happen tomorrow if you approach your current job with HOPE and EXCITEMENT.

Become Satisfied
Many of you reading this might currently be dissatisfied with your current position. Perhaps your salary is lower than you would like, maybe you don’t receive the recognition you would like. Your employer doesn’t support continuing learning, and this is preventing you from achieving your goals. All of the above are likely true; if you believe they are true. Bringing these thoughts to work is setting the foundation for your failure, not your success.
While you are quietly being discontent at work, your colleagues and in many cases your customers are well aware of how you feel. Hiding your emotions is very hard work. It doesn’t matter how well you think you hide your deepest thoughts, they have a way of surfacing.
Those around you are taking notice that you are not happy about______________you can fill in the blank with salary, work environment, job title, level of responsibility, perks, amount of vacation, etc.
The key to advancing in your sales career is to become highly satisfied at work. Enjoy your work and people will take notice. Opportunities will come your way. It will take time to change the minds of those around you; but it will happen. Maybe your sales manager will ask you to present at a meeting, or take on a test project. If you react positively to these opportunities then you have succeeded in positioning yourself for advancement.
If you ultimately decide you are not able to a HOPE and EXCITEMENT in your current position then you need to make the change. Here are the steps I took to successful change jobs for the better.
5 Successful Job Search Tips
1.       Set clear goals for your new position including title, salary, total compensation, company, working environment, location, work type, customer base. Be as specific as possible and don’t take offers that don’t match your goals.
2.       Network on Linked In. Many companies have incentive payouts for current employees to refer quality applicants to their company. If you want to be a district sales manager at a company then connect with other district manager’s outside of your local geography and see if your target company offers a referral payout. Most people are at least willing to consider referring a qualified candidate if they stand to benefit from a referral bonus. Note: not all people will be willing to do this so provide with caution and do not pressure anyone.
3.       Create email job alerts. It takes time to check job sites daily so set up keyword email alerts to send your personal email account notifications when positions in your area are posted matching your job search goals. Too many people waste time scrolling through job sites looking at old postings. Set up the alerts and let the job site deliver the information you are looking for right to your inbox.
4.       Set up Google News Alerts to deliver news stories about your target companies. If your target companies are experiencing change or integrations then positions will likely be created and an opportunity could be a fit for you. If you are not aware of the current news events about your target companies then you could miss a key window of opportunity.
5.       Use YouTube to search interview tips and techniques for your target companies. Some companies post educational or recruitment videos on YouTube to attract applicants to their company. You can use these videos to gain valuable insights on interview questioning techniques, tips, styles and hear from current employees that had successfully gone through the process.

These are 5 major tips I used when searching for my Dream Job. Remember above all else to be HOPEFUL and bring EXCITEMENT to every aspect of your life and you will soon have your Dream Job.

No comments:

Post a Comment