Pages

Tuesday 18 December 2012

Birthday Wishes



As I was learning the ropes as an on-the-road sales rep I found that I couldn’t keep track of my friends and families birthdays.  I would realize it was someone’s birthday at the last minute; often too late to do anything meaningful.
I decided I need to make this more of a priority in my life to avoid constantly missing birthdays. My fix was to put important birthday dates into my work Microsoft Outlook email schedule. Most of the time I was at work when I realized I had missed an important birthday.
Integrating my work schedule with important personal dates did a good job of keeping me on track and prioritizing key dates. However, if that was the end of my idea I would probably leave you thinking that was lame, and you would be right.
I thought one day ‘if I could keep track of friends and family birthdays on my work schedule, could I do the same for my customers?’ I started asking my customers for the date of their birthdays, and soon the idea became very successful. Why did it work? Simply, I cared enough to ask and then remember.
Be Genuine
Don’t ask a customer for the date of their birthday and then forget to recognize it. If you decide this idea could work for you; then here is how it is done.
Ask your customer for their birthday date. Then put the birthday into your Outlook email schedule and set a reminder for 2 days prior. I send an email on the morning of the person’s birthday. You can choose to make a phone call, send a text or visit.
Keep it no cost
Many organizations have no gift policies. Don’t get caught up in being accused of trying to buy someone. The strength of this idea is simply being interested enough in your customer as a person to care about recognizing their birthday. Spending money on gifts can make people feel uncomfortable and even make them feel the need to reciprocate. The last thing you want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable; so keep your recognition no cost.
Who doesn’t love receiving birthday wishes? You will find if you use this technique effectively your customers will see you as more empathetic, caring and generally thoughtful.
This has worked for me in my career and I know it will help you strengthen your relationships as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment