Pages

Monday 10 December 2012

Less is more: What Men can learn from Women


So far since I have been writing this blog; in an effort to inspire people to achieve more in their sales careers, one article I have written has received most of the attention.
The article, “Why Women Make Great Sales People” has by far been the most liked, responded too and commented article I have written. Like most writers I will follow the lead set out by the readers. Why is this article so popular?
My basic premise of the article was women have 5 characteristics that set them up naturally to be successful in selling. That does not mean men are not successful at selling. Simply; women can be more successful with less effort due to their natural coding.
Why was the article so polarizing? Were men hearing this information for the first time? Had I stumbled on a secret treasure map that would lead me to untold riches? Not likely. So I will look at some of the responses for clues.
One man responded perhaps women were better at selling because in their dating lives they were less likely to face rejection than a man was. If we go along with this idea even for a moment, we would see that the very inverse should be true. If men repeatedly are rejected in their attempts to date women, in theory men should be better prepared for success in selling because they have been accustomed to hear ‘No’ and continuing on.
Another person responded perhaps parenting is the dominate influence resulting in the female predisposition for successful selling. The idea parents are generally softer on girls than they are on boys. Boys may become more restrained due to stronger parenting versus girls.
Parenting can influence early development greatly however, I think most successful people men or women find a way to leave parental influence in the past.
So what is it?
I think a lot of success in any type of selling is greatly linked to your expectations. We all know that men are more competitive than women generally speaking. I don’t think I can remember seeing a women road raging another driver on the highway recently. However, on the male side of the coin it is almost a daily occurrence.

Competitive drive is a true double edged sword; I think many of us don’t fully understand. I think it is summed up nicely in this quote; “Anything in Excess is negative” Oedipus The King by Sophocles.


Being too competitive in essence can lead some sales people, mostly male, to try too hard to close the deal and often it results in putting off the customer. No one likes being followed around a retail store by an overly pushing sales person tracking you like a blood hound. Perhaps we and I say we because I have been included in this category before, want to live up to an outdated idea of being a hard driving salesman.
I have witnessed first hand playing sports and drinking; two popular activities that us men get caught up in; squaring off in competitive battles just for the sake of being competitive. Who hasn’t seen a pushing and shoving match erupt on a sports field or in a bar over some trivial miss-understanding? These are the competitive juices running amuck.
Conversely often women take a softer approach. You can categorize it in any way you like; more empathetic, more understanding, more right brain approach, more relationship based, the label doesn’t matter much.
I have seen this first hand in my Mom (a very successful sales lady). My Mom takes a very level headed approach to selling. Not too easily offended, persistent without being pushy, caring without being condescending, and above all successful.
Perhaps you know someone like this? Perhaps you are like this yourself? To me, the message is clear.
 Focus on building relationship ships first, and closing sales second. Understand that no means ‘not right now’ and respectfully try again another time. Lastly, learn from the No’s. Getting upset and being defensive when not successful in closing a deal does only one thing; set’s you up to not close the next one. Understand what didn’t go well; course correct and move forward positively.
Anyone can learn and become a successful sales person; male or female.

4 comments:

  1. I have known many women in sales in my life as well as men. My Father and Grandfather were awesome salesmen and my Grandfather will go down in history as one of the best making millions in his life. Where I feel women have the advantage is first impression. Most men and women are disarmed my a woman sales person. Men they are selling to may want to get to know them better and women may find something more in common besides the product they are selling to talk about. Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ture most people are less defensive with women vs men. Thanks for your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this follow up piece on your original article very interesting, Andrew. It is indeed difficult to discuss differences in traits between genders and how this affects performance without making large generalisations. The responses you detailed from the original article were interesting, but I agree with you in the sense that they do not go to the root of the issue. I believe that as hard selling is becoming less relevant and effective, relationship building as a selling technique is on the rise. Relationship building takes longer to achieve sales, but I believe that it has long term benefits in generating repeat business and word-of-mouth advertising. In general, (sorry to generalise) women known to be more empathetic and understanding which is a major advantage in establishing a good customer relationship. I believe that this is perhaps one of the reasons women are better sales professionals. Do you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree women are very strong at building relationships and I think you are right on the mark identifying that patience is required to building long term profitable relationships. Some men would be more successful if they were more patient. Thanks for your comment and support.

    ReplyDelete